How to get default rss and atom feed url of WordPress site.
WordPress provides rss and atom feed by default that can be used as a sitemap in webmaster tools or just syndicate your content using any feed reader .
WordPress Feed Url Rss Format
The default url of WordPress blog’s rss feed can be accessed by adding /feed/rss/ at the end of your site’s url.
WordPress Feed Url Atom Format
If you want atom feed url of your wordpress blog then simple replace rss with atom and this will give your blog’s feed in atom format.
WordPress Category Feed Url
Similarly you get rss or atom feed of any category , tag or post page by just adding /feed/ at the end of permalink.
You can also get the feed of tags and posts by using similar approach.
Hosting your wordpress site on Google cloud compute engine by creating your own virtual machine gives you complete freedom to make any changes to root files and saves you from all the flaws of hosting wordpress on shared hosts .
A shared hosting account will cost 6-10 USD and it comes with all the problems associated with shared web hosting like resource limitations and shared ip addresses. I always recommend using cloud to host any wordpress site because of their low cost considering the advantages over shared servers.
Google cloud provides click to deploy solution to host your wordpress blog using Compute engine . The price of Google cloud services will depend on your usage but it mainly consists of server cost so you have complete freedom to choose the resources you need based on your budget .
Smallest instance offered by Google Compute engine is f1-micro with 0.06 GB memory and if you are hosting a wordpress site then you will also need a 10 GB storage disk . The monthly cost of this package will be around 4.5 USD . If you are just starting your wordpress project then it is usually recommended to start with this instance as you have the option to upgrade your machine resources later as you need them . Google cloud wordpress hosting cost will include $5.84/month for VM Instance and $0.40/month for 10 GB Standard Persistent Disk. However Google also offers a sustained usage discount so at the end of month this total package will cost you a total of $4.49/month . Which is a very low cost when compared to virtual machines offered by shared hosting companies on internet.
These costs per month don’t include 30 percent sustained usage discount provided by Google Compute Engine . Comparing these costs to virtual machine and dedicated servers prices offered by major web hosting companies , there is definitely saving in Hosting wordpress on Google cloud.
If you are hosting your WordPress website using Google cloud hosting then your robots.txt will be set to default that disallows all search bots from crawling your site . You will need to change the robots.txt file uploaded on your server and edit it so that search engine bots are allowed to crawl your website.
First of all you should check if your robots.txt file actually needs editing or not by viewing it on “www.yoursite.com/robots.txt” . If somewhere is says ” Disallow: / ” then it is blocking all search bots from crawling your website . You need to change “Disallow:/” to “Allow:/” so that bots can crawl your whole site .
If you need to change your robots txt file then in your Google compute instance initiate an SSH session and then use the following command to access and edit your robots file .To edit Robots.txt file for wordpress using google cloud ssh use following command in SSH .
~$ sudo nano /var/www/html/robots.txt
After editing your file use ctrl+X and Y to save it and exit the session .
Selecting the right host for your WordPress blog is the first most important decision you make before starting a new website .
The usual choice of many new WordPress users is shared web hosting as it is advertised to be cheap and affordable with so many features . Majority of people choose shared web hosting thinking that it is affordable and you don’t have to get your hands dirty with setting up your own server . The reason why shared web hosting became so popular is simply their advertisements , they all tell you that this is the best option for you . To make matters worse , when you search reviews of these hosts all others blogs seem to suggest one or other shared hosting provider and nobody tell you the simple truth that all of them have the same flaws . All these bloggers have affiliate accounts with hosting providers and that is the reason they so eagerly suggest you to use them .
Problem with Shared Web Hosts
- The most important dark fact about shared web hosting is the limitations on resources that you can use . They all promise you unlimited everything but when your site starts getting traffic they just aren’t designed to handle it . In most cases your site will be removed from the server to avoid over use of resources .
- Speed of a site is very important to search engines and blogs with higher page load speed tend to rank higher in search results . Shared web hosts are slow and it will have a negative impact on your
- Your ip address is shared with many other websites . some or most of these sites may have spam content and that will eventually have a bad impact on your ranking in search engines . Ip address is an important factor in ranking sites .
- Your site will not be able to handle peak traffics on shared hosting accounts so that is another reason to avoid shared hosting for your new site . Even if you are a small site now , you should be equipped to handle significant amount of traffic to your site without any downtime and slow page load time.
- The average cost of basic shared hosting account is about $5 to $9 . That seems reasonable for very small sites that don’t bother about above mentioned problems with shared hosting . But when your blog starts to grow you have no option but to move to a VPS or Dedicated server and the cost of that will be around $100 .
Next time you are inclined to choose shared hosting account for wordpress keep these 5 reasons to change your mind .
Read : Six Most Important Seo Meta Tags